Idioms and Proverbs
- Action speaks louder than words.
Something done has better impact than something said
2. Prevention is better than cure.
It is better to avoid the problem than to look for a solution.
3. An idle mind is devil’s workshop.
If a man doesn’t have anything to do, he will always think negative.
- Justice delayed is justice denied.
If there is a delay in justice, it is as good as no justice.
- Money begets money.
Money leads to more money.
- As you sow,so shall you reap.
Your action will decide the consequence.
- Beauty lies in the eyes of beholder.
If someone can recognize beauty, he will find beauty in everything.
- Where there is a will, there is a way.
If someone has the burning desire to do something,he will find the ways to do it.
- A empty vessel makes much noise.
If someone knows less he will talk more.
- Fortune favours the brave.
Luck is always in favour of the brave.
11. Everything is fair in love and war.
Whatever is done in love and war, it is all acceptable.
12. Stitch in time saves the nine.
If something is done at right time, it prevents bigger inconvenience later.
13. Friend in need is a friend indeed.
Friend who helps in difficulty is a real friend.
14. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.
Work and play are required so that one remains active.
15. All that glitters is not gold.
Once should not depend on appearance to judge someone.
16. Barking dogs seldom bite.
The person who makes more noise does not do much.
17. A beggar can’t be a chooser.
Someone who is in bad state can ask for preferences.
18. Better late than never.
It is better to come late than not to come at all.
19. Experience is the best teacher.
One can learn the most by experience.
20. God helps those who help themselves.
God helps those who try their best.
21. Haste makes waste.
Anything done quickly can be the waste of efforts.
22. Well begun is half done.
A good beginning can lead to successful completion.
23. The pen is mightier than the sword.
Knowledge is more important than the physical strength.
24. Jack of all trades, master of none.
Someone who knows little bit of many things but is the expert of none.
25. Make hay while the Sun shines.
Make the most of your good times.